Saturday, June 1, 2013

highlights

"I  went into the bends. I got drunker and stayed drunker than a shit skink in Purgatory. I even had the butcher knife, against my throat one night in the kitchen and then I thought, easy, old boy, your little girl might want you to take her to the zoo. Ice cream bars, chimpanzees, tigers, green and red birds, and the sun coming down on top of her head, the sun coming down and crawling into the hairs of your arms, easy, old boy"

- 192-193 Post Office (Bukowski)

"The nurse pointed down at my child. The child's face was very red and it was screaming louder than any of the other children. That room was full of screaming babies. So many births! The nurse seemed very proud of my baby. At least, I hoped it was mine. She picked the girl up so I could see it better. I smiled through the glass, I didn't know how to act. The girl just screamed at me. Poor thing, I thought, poor little damned thing. I didn't know then that she woud be a beautiful girl someday who would look just like me, hahaha."


"Women were meant to suffer; no wonder they asked for constant declarations of love"

- 155 Post Office (Bukowski)

No comments:

Post a Comment