Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I just don't fucking get it. Even the counter-culture has popularity in it. (everything popular is wrong - Oscar wilde) There are three beatnik writers everyone informed on counter culture should know about and they are: Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, and of course, Allen Ginsberg. When I say Jack Kerouac, I mean On The Road. When I say William S. Burroughs, I mean Naked Lunch. When I say Allen Ginsberg, I really mean Howl.
It's sad and it sickens me (I do like Howl though. The first part anyway.)
Why is it that a new way of thinking gets drowned in drugs, promiscuity, and a search for an on the surface kind of freedom?

Mr Rychlewski said that On The Road is the kind of book you like when you're younger than 21. Mr Spence said in response to what he thought of the book: "get a job bum!".

I should read it, just for the sake of knowing. I will.

What is it about Naked Lunch that makes me uneasy? I don't know. All I know is that it's fucking confusing to me, but others seem to enjoy it. I don't know if it's my lack of understanding or if it's some kind of joke everyone else is in on.
All I'm going to do is be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment